Most women are prone to experience menstrual cramps before, during or after menstruation. It is a pain most often located in the lower abdomen that varies in intensity. These cramps can have different treatments based on their cause, but, they can also be improved with the use of microwavable wheat bags.
Microwave heat packs are often a great option because they have different uses and beneficial properties. In this post we will let you know the main causes of menstrual cramps and the benefits of applying heat. Also, we will tell you which are the best microwave heat packs to reduce menstrual cramps.
What are the causes of abdominal pain due to menstrual cramps?
Menstrual cramps are very common in women of reproductive age. It is estimated that 4 out of 5 women often experience menstrual cramps of varying intensity before, during or after the menstrual cycle. Most of them start to experience it 6 months after their first menstrual period and may be intermittent.
The way dysmenorrhoea or menstrual cramps occur has many pathophysiological mechanisms, we will look at each of them and classify the causes into 2 main groups:
They make up 5 to 15% of all dysmenorrhoea or menstrual cramps and usually cause very intense pain. Most women who suffer from it are prone to absenteeism from work or school. They are caused by:
- Excess prostaglandins: Prostaglandins are substances released in the human body that have different functions. One of these is smooth muscle contraction, which is essential in menstrual cycles to expel endometrial debris. However, in some women, the release is excessive and therefore generates abrupt and very powerful uterine contractions.
They represent the most heterogeneous group of pathologies that usually cause menstrual cramps, among which we can mention:
- Endometriosis: This is a pathology in which there is an abnormal growth of the endometrium. This tissue can be found outside the uterus and sometimes outside the pelvic cavity. It also causes very painful menstruation, heavy bleeding and in many cases infertility.
- Myomatosis: These are benign tumours that grow in the uterus, which can be located in any of the layers of the uterus. They can cause a lot of menstrual cramps, and those located at the endometrial level usually cause heavy bleeding. Most of them increase in size and some may require surgical resolution.
- Cysts and ovarian cancer: These are lesions or cysts that grow on the ovaries and may cause menstrual pain. Most ovarian cysts are of benign aetiology and are caused by hormonal variations during the menstrual cycle.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): This is a fairly significant infection of the reproductive organs in women. In general, they can involve the cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries and are usually due to sexually transmitted infections.
- Adenomyosis: This is an abnormal growth of the endometrium, developing at the level of the muscular walls of the uterus. They cause enlargement of the uterus during menstrual cycles, resulting in severe menstrual cramps.
- Cervical stenosis: A cervical stenosis is a malformation at the cervix where the small size of the cervix prevents the normal outflow of menstrual flow. As a result, it causes severe menstrual cramps due to increased pressure inside the uterine cavity.
Heating Pad for Microwave Classic Bottle Shaped (Hearts)$19.95
Heating Pad for Microwave Classic Bottle Shaped (Oxford)$19.95
Heating Pad for Microwave Classic Bottle Shaped (Sport)$19.95
Microwavable Heated Slippers (Hearts)$22.95
Microwavable Heated Slippers (Oxford)$22.95
Microwavable Heated Slippers (Sport)$22.95
Microwave Arthritis Gloves (2 Pack Mittens) (Hearts)$29.95
Microwave Arthritis Gloves (2 Pack Mittens) (Oxford)$29.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief (Extra Large) (Hearts)$29.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief (Extra Large) (Oxford)$29.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief (Extra Large) (Sport)$29.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck & Shoulder Pain Relief (Hearts)$22.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck & Shoulder Pain Relief (Oxford)$22.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck & Shoulder Pain Relief (Sport)$22.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck Pain Relief (Hearts)$19.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck Pain Relief (Oxford)$19.95
Microwave Heating Pad for Neck Pain Relief (Sport)$19.95
Microwaveable Heating Pad for Pain Relief (Hearts)$19.95
Microwaveable Heating Pad for Pain Relief (Oxford)$19.95
Microwaveable Heating Pad for Pain Relief (Sport)$19.95
What are the benefits of applying heat to relieve menstrual cramping pain?
Thermotherapy is one of the most beneficial options in the presence of menstrual cramps and the pelvic inflammation it causes. Among the benefits it offers we can mention:
- Increases the pain threshold: Heat has important effects on the peripheral nervous system which results in an increase in the pain threshold. This gives the perception that the menstrual pain experienced is much less.
- Relaxes the uterus: The main function that heat generates at the soft tissue level is relaxation. This is because it causes a distension of the fibres of the tissues. The uterus, being composed of smooth muscle, responds very well to the stimuli provoked by heat.
- Itsoothes pain and inflammation: Heat increases the distribution of blood flow to the muscle. This allows a better oxygenation and nutrition of the tissues which guarantees a better recovery. It can therefore soothe pain and inflammation much faster.
- Stimulates elasticity: The heat causes greater comfort and a sedative placebo effect which stimulates better muscle elasticity. This promotes relaxation of the uterine smooth muscle, helping to improve pain.
What are the best wheat bags to reduce menstrual pain and cramps?
Let's take a look at the types of microwavable wheat bags that work best for relaxing the abdominal area when suffering from menstrual cramping pain.
Wheat bag for pain relief
This is a handmade multi-purpose wheat bag made of cotton fabric. Its standard shape and size allows it to be used anywhere on the body in localised areas. It is ideal for menstrual pain and other ailments such as muscle contractions, bruises and contusions.
Wheat bag for lower back pain
The wheat bag for lumbar pain represents a quick and easy solution to lower back, upper back and pelvic pain. It is made of the best quality materials. Its large size allows it to be used on large areas such as the back, legs, abdomen and buttocks.
Wheat bag in the shape of a hot water bottle
It is a vintage model that represents the classic hot water bottle but with an improved and more comfortable design. It is made of high quality materials. It is an exceptional wheat bag that can be used on many areas of the body, including the pelvic area for menstrual cramps.
Wheat bag for neck pain
This is an exceptional wheat bag specially designed for use in the neck area. Its ergonomic shape allows it to be used comfortably and easily for muscle contractures, torticollis, bad posture, whiplash, bruises and contusions. Despite being designed for the cervical area, it is very useful for use in the pelvic area in case of dysmenorrhoea.