In many ways, massages help to prevent the presence of cellulite, which affects mostly women of any age, although it is also a condition present in men, but due to a cultural and social issue it does not have the same impact on their self-esteem.
And although there are various types of electric massagers, they all agree that this type of device increases blood flow and improves metabolism to make the bumps and dimples known as cellulite less prominent on the skin.
What types of electric massagers are there and which are the best for cellulite?
Today's electric massagers can be divided into three main groups: percussion massagers, friction massagers and heat massagers. Check out this list of the best products available.
Can you really reduce or eliminate cellulite with electric massagers?
The so-called "orange peel skin" is a condition that can appear at any age and for reasons such as poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, circulatory system problems and lymphatic system difficulties. Whatever the reason, recurrent massages will reduce all these risk factors to a minimum.
How do massages help to reduce cellulite? We will now describe the different ways in which you can use electric massagers to minimise the effects of this condition.
- They prevent fat from localising: redistributing accumulated fat is one of the advantages of percussion and friction massages, which you achieve with the use of electrical equipment, although manual slimming massages were the first to be used for this purpose, but they do not provide the uniformity that the skin requires.
- Eliminate waste substances: the soft tissues and skin lose the elasticity they should always have when the body does not correctly expel the waste substances it produces during physical and sporting activities, which makes the body feel exhausted when the muscular activity is over.
- Improve circulation: by dilating vessels and veins, the body can better distribute the oxygen and nutrients the skin needs to remain healthy, supple and elastic. Part of the function of blood is to serve as an effective transport channel for both elements, so it is important to drink plenty of water.
- Strengthens the lymphatic system: this prevents fluid retention when the body has kidney problems, for example. Difficulties in distributing lymph cause the legs and feet to swell, making it more likely that bumps and dimples will appear more quickly over the years.
- They keep the tissues active: a body that avoids a sedentary lifestyle is a body that will stay healthy longer. And if you are one of those people who can't make frequent trips to the gym, then the option of self-massage will always be available to keep your skin from looking and feeling like an orange.
- They make you more aware of your body: when you notice that there are real benefits to using electric massagers, you end up better motivated to take other favourable actions such as drinking more water, applying a better balance to your diet, doing more cardiovascular exercise and adjusting other habits in your life that will help you avoid cellulite.
- Improve your self-esteem: this is a real advantage for women, who due to social and gender roles always want to look great and show the world that their skin is healthy, this favours self-image and self-esteem of people who day by day are inhibited from having a full life by the presence of cellulite in visible parts such as legs and arms.
How to use electric massagers to minimise cellulite?
This type of product can be used at home, but there are some minimum conditions that you must know to make a safe massage for you.
How to apply the massage?
As there are several types of electric massagers, in this section we will give you some general information applicable in each case:
- Try to use original and quality products for massages.
- The product you choose should be configurable to adjust the intensity of the stimulation.
- Find a place where you feel comfortable and have time to perform self-massages calmly.
- Start with gentle, short massages, so that the body gradually adapts.
- It is not necessary to stimulate trigger points to reduce cellulite.
- Apply the product to areas where fat tends to concentrate such as the legs, arms, buttocks and abdomen.
- At first, you will feel discomfort as the skin adapts to the stimulation.
- In no case is it normal to feel pain, perhaps a slight discomfort if the area is heavily loaded.
- If you have any chronic illnesses, such as arthritis and osteoporosis, it is best to ask your doctor.
- If the cellulite is already very marked, the best result you can achieve is to relieve the pain and increase the blood supply.
Accompany the massages with an adjustment in your lifestyle, by drinking more fluids, exercising and changing your diet to get a better quality of healthy foods into your body to strengthen your skin and soft tissues.
- Each session can last a maximum of 20-25 minutes if the stimulation is gentle.
- The time with higher intensity massages should be shorter, between 5 and 10 minutes.
- With massage guns, make two or three strokes on each muscle with hard heads.
- If heat is used in massages, they should not last more than 10 minutes.
- When doing cervical and lumbar stimulation, you should do it with gentle strokes.
- Most of the stimulation should be concentrated on the legs and buttocks.
Regularity of sessions
- This type of massage can be done every day.
- You can use the products two or three times a day.
- Keep in mind that you should alternate the areas you treat with the electric massagers.
- Avoid stimulating all areas every day.
- Together with a specialist, make a work plan to get a better result per week.
- When you feel pain with these products, stop the stimulations and consult your doctor.
What are the best alternatives to electric massage machines for cellulite removal?
There are different types of products on the market with which you can achieve similar results, all of which try to simulate the strength and experience of a physiotherapist's hands, but within your reach.
- Foam Roller: this is a myofascial stimulation product that also dilates the vessels and veins in the areas where this type of massage is applied. It is a product that is usually aimed at physiotherapists and athletes, but you can also have it at home.
- Massage balls: there are Lacrosse-type balls, spiked balls and peanut-shaped balls, all of which aim to relax the muscles, stimulate the lymphatic system and keep the body active in the event of a sedentary lifestyle, one of the risk factors that leave open windows for cellulite.
- Acupressure mats: these have thousands of lotus flowers that stimulate the skin, increase the temperature and allow better blood flow throughout the body. It is an easy-to-use product for people who do not have enough time for additional physical activity.
- Massage hooks: these are easy-to-use products for people at home who have muscle tension in places where it is difficult to massage. They are great tools for improving circulation and the lymphatic system by stimulating the legs and buttocks.