There is nothing more exciting than watching two teams separated by a net fighting to send the ball back to the opposite court to accumulate points. That's volleyball, a very demanding and exciting sport but also, with many risks of injury, especially in the ankle because of the utility it requires to develop the game.
With compression ankle braces you won't have to worry about accidents on or off the court. To learn more about their functions, in the following article you will find all the information you need to get the right sports ankle sleeve; its characteristics, types and even the most common injuries in volleyball.
What are the most common ankle injuries when playing volleyball?
Volleyball is a sport that requires great physical and mental capacity, but even so, even the most experienced players can get injured, with repercussions for their professional career. One of the most affected limbs by the violent and repetitive movements are the ankles, which can suffer from sprains, fractures, tendonitis and dislocations, as some of the examples; if not treated in time, it could affect other joints or become a chronic problem.
Here are the most common ankle injuries:
This occurs when repetitive movements are made or force is exerted on the tendon causing bursitis, which is the inflammation of small pockets of fluid, located between the mobile bones of the ankle. This will cause severe pain, loss of stability and inability to bear weight on the body.
Volleyball players are very likely to suffer from ankle bursitis because of the mobility required by the game. To avoid or prevent this type of injury, it is best to do warm-up exercises and include an ankle brace to strengthen the muscles and ligaments. These will be of great help to execute your volleyball activities.
An ankle fracture is a break in the ankle bone, which can be a small crack or a complete break through the skin. The first thing you will notice is intense pain that will prevent you from standing up, swelling of the ankle, tenderness, instability and deformity of the affected part.
In the case of a volleyball player, this type of incident occurs because of a bad support, the fall after a spike or block, preventing the player from standing up. The indications for treatment are in the hands of the doctor or traumatologist and depending on the severity of the injury, emergency surgery may be required.
The tendons located at the back of the ankle join the muscle to the ankle joint, they are responsible for giving stability to the foot, tendinosis occurs when the tendon becomes inflamed, this causes instability and severe pain when the foot rests on the ground.
It is one of the most frequent injuries in volleyball, it occurs when you make a jump to block or spike and the player falls badly on the ankle due to the bad state of the ground or a fortuitous action. Another reason may be a bad posture for a long period of time, if it persists during the game, even if the ankle is uncomfortable, it can cause problems to other muscles or joints.
The bones attached to the ankle slip out of place, causing severe pain, deformation of the affected part and instability when stepping on the ground. In the case of beach volleyball, this is played on sand, an unstable terrain that can lead to dislocations or dislocation. Other reasons are lack of exercise and warm-up, a bad fall after the jump to block or spike or a bad false move on the ankle. Treatment depends on the severity, but the main thing is to get the bone back in place.
What type of sports ankle braces are best for volleyball player injuries?
Sports ankle braces are par excellence one of the most recommended products and used by athletes worldwide, due to its effectiveness in preventing or treating ankle injuries, strengthening muscle and ligament, reducing tension on the muscles, pain and discomfort.
All athletes at some point had to use this product either on the recommendation of a teammate or by indications of his traumatologist confidence, once you use it you will notice the difference and feel a great improvement in performance, it's just a matter of choosing the sports ankle brace that best suits your case.
Tubular elastic ankle brace
It is used mostly in case of dislocations or dislocation, immobilizes the affected part, maintains body temperature and improves blood circulation, there are many variations of this product depending on the degree of injury, it's just a matter of acquiring the right one.
Ankle compression sleeve
In this garment polyester, nylon and spandex are combined, the end result is a resistant and soft product that adapts easily to the ankle. It offers uniform compression, retains body temperature and improves blood circulation. It is widely recommended to treat, prevent or reduce sprains, helps to strengthen muscles and joints, you can use it as a complement to increase sports performance.
Neoprene ankle brace
Neoprene is an insulating and protective material, it adapts perfectly to the surface of the ankle, it exerts a uniform compression on the entire joint, its thermo-compressive effect is ideal for treating or preventing the risk of injury, you can also use it to warm up muscles faster.
Adjustable elastic ankle brace
It is an ankle brace that stretches and adjusts to the shape of the ankle, is made of nylon, polyester and breathable fabric, has bidirectional strap to adjust the pressure without losing grip, thanks to the breathable fabric can absorb liquid without deforming, use it to give stability to the muscles and joints, also to prevent and reduce sprains.
What features should you consider before choosing the best sports ankle brace for volleyball?
Volleyball is an exciting and very demanding sport, so much so that participants get injured during the game due to continuous jumping, a bad fall on the ankle or lack of warm-up exercise.
Sports ankle braces are designed and manufactured to fulfil a specific purpose, they can help prevent, minimise and treat all types of trauma, improve blood circulation, reduce pain and tension on muscles and ligaments, but you should also take into consideration their features such as: design, sizes, function and more, which we will explain below.
According to their function
In order to practice volleyball training or sports competitions, you need several accessories, among them you can find the compression ankle braces. Some of their functions for which you could use them are:
- Ankle braces to treat injuries: The serious or light trauma of a player requires time to heal completely, some cases require surgery and rehabilitation, but with the help of an ankle brace you can reduce that time and heal completely.
- Ankle braces for pain relief: Elastic compression ankle braces are the way to go when it comes to pain. They conform to the ankle, providing warmth while evenly compressing the affected area. This helps improve blood circulation and reduces pain, making them perfect for volleyball players when they need a quick solution to stop pain.
- Ankle braces to strengthen muscles and ligaments: The use of ankle braces with non-slip silicone supports muscles and ligaments, thanks to the pressure they exert, prevents lateral movements, while protecting the player from fasciitis, tendonitis or other injury.
- Impact protection ankle pads: Impact protection is one of the main reasons for their use, this is possible thanks to the thick pads and neoprene. If you play volleyball in the sand, you will be able to perform any movement without any inconvenience.
- Stabilising ankle braces: Another advantage of compression ankle braces is the stabilisation they provide to the ankle area. It maintains control and firmness during every movement. This makes sports activities comfortable and safe.
Material of manufacture
Volleyball is a sport that requires athletes with a lot of agility, strength and endurance of the lower body. To achieve this goal, it needs sports accessories and special training. The ankle brace is part of an athlete's accessories, it is made of highly resistant elastic materials and alloys with unique properties, designed to avoid, prevent and treat injuries, but it can also help you to perform better in every sporting activity.
- Neoprene: It has good stability and flexibility at various temperatures, resists degradation caused by the sun, weather or ozone and the best thing about it is that it never loses its shape. In addition, it can resist twisting or bending, offers protection for extreme temperatures, whether in water or fire.
- Absorbent fabric: It is basically composed of microfibre, a network of thin interwoven threads that has the ability to absorb large amounts of liquid without losing its original shape, it can keep the surface clean and free of germs and bacteria.
Type of support
The tapes or straps are very useful in sand surfaces such as beach volleyball, help to perform personalized pressure to certain areas of the ankle without retracting, are made of different materials to ensure optimum performance regardless of the situation that arises.
Here are the most recommended ankle supports for volleyball according to the type of foot support:
- Velcro: There are variations of this type of fastener. In most cases, bi-directional velcro straps are used to fasten in the direction required, it is practical and resistant, ideal for use in sports ankle compression for pain, tension and fatigue of the affected area.
- Silicone padded support: This is a mattress/chair belt combined with silicone pads that adapt to the surface of the ankle, absorb shock and protect the muscles and joints.
- Non-slip silicone: The non-slip silicone, which can be stretched and adjusted to the surface of the ankle, offers maximum joint pressure, safety and protection. Best of all, they will stay in place regardless of the amount of liquid or sand.
- Nylon straps: This type of strap combines nylon, absorbent fabric and Velcro, the result is a tough elastic piece that moulds to the surface of the ankle, exerts constant pressure without loss and grips tightly at the ends thanks to the Velcro hooks.
If you want to buy a sports ankle brace, it is necessary to find the right size to feel comfortable while wearing it; otherwise, it can damage the skin and create other complications. To find the right size, a tape measure is used to determine the exact measurement of the ankle. In the market you will find garments with sizes ranging from S to XL and depending on the material of manufacture and design they can be adjusted according to your taste.
|WHERE TO MEASURE?
|The circumference is measured right at the ankle bone (*See image)
*Note: If after measuring you are between two sizes, choose the larger size
Manufacturers always offer the general public a functional, comfortable product, able to protect and prevent injuries, provide agility to perform movements, but at the same time they want a unique and exclusive design to the liking of all their customers. The aim is to achieve the perfect balance between design and functionality.
If you have the opportunity to be present at a volleyball sporting event, you will feel like on a fashion runway, there you will find sports ankle pads with a variety of colours, textures and bold designs. In case you are a player and have not yet acquired one, we assure you that beyond its therapeutic functions, you will have a garment to your liking and taste.
The price of sports ankle braces depends on the technology, materials, design and uses for which it is used. Although there are some low priced models, these do not meet the quality and performance standards demanded by volleyball players whether professional or amateur. If we want a quality product, we will have to invest a little more to get an ankle brace that will help us recover from our injury while we continue playing our sport.
Do compression ankle braces really work for volleyball?
Volleyball ankle compression sleeves are fully functional and have been proven with facts, if you ask health professionals and athletes about their effectiveness in treating injuries, you are sure to get affirmative answers with countless examples.
At first glance, it is a product with a unique and daring design, but once you try it you will notice the incredible benefits it offers. It keeps compression spread throughout the ankle joint, keeps the muscles in the area warm, improves blood circulation and is ultimately the best way to prevent or reduce any ailments or discomfort in the ankle.
Behind the process of making and manufacturing, there is a team with years of experience that focuses its efforts on the study of materials and different alloys to use them in their product and offer the public the best. Make a commitment to your health and wellbeing, don't think twice and buy your sports compression ankle brace today.