- What are the most common shoulder injuries when playing basketball?
- What kind of sports shoulder braces are best for injuries in basketball players?
- What features should you consider before choosing the best sports shoulder brace for basketball?
- Do compression shoulder braces really work for basketball?
To play basketball, the player needs to perform a series of movements, many of which require raising the arms so that they are above the shoulders, and in these positions he leaves his joints in a more sensitive situation to suffer from an ailment.
How can a basketball player protect his shoulders? An excellent way to do so is with the use of sports compression shoulder sleeves, which will be explained in depth in the following article, starting with the most common injuries in this discipline, and then addressing issues such as: characteristics, function and types of shoulder braces.
What are the most common shoulder injuries when playing basketball?
Shoulder injuries are quite common in the popular sport of basketball. During a basketball game, players make sudden lifts with their arms when receiving a ball or when throwing the ball to make a pass to make a basket; they can suffer a tear that can injure their shoulder. As well as this example, there are many more which will be explained in detail below.
A shoulder strain occurs when the tendons of the shoulder joints are torn, with falls and impact being the cause. Symptoms of this condition are accompanied by pain, swelling, limited mobility and bruising in the affected area. Strains are caused when muscles or tendons are stretched or ruptured, and can occur immediately or develop over time.
Basketball players are more likely to suffer sprains and strains or abrupt stretching, as they are usually caused by falls and blows to the shoulders. In the practice of this sport, it is very common to observe how players hit each other while chasing the ball, looking for a pass that allows them to position themselves and achieve the task of making a basket.
Inside the shoulder is the humerus, which is a bone that is circular or ball-shaped at the top, and it is precisely this piece that goes into the hole that forms the shoulder blade. When a strong impact is received on the shoulder, and it is outside this hole, this type of damage occurs. It can be partial, when the ball does not come out of the socket completely, and total when it comes out completely.
Basketball is one of the most likely sports for this type of injury to occur. Remember that the player runs from one end of the court to the other, looking for a good position to get the ball and make the pass that will lead them to victory. During this run, pushing and shoving occurs, and can lead to a fall on the shoulder, causing a dislocation.
There are small soft sacs under the tendon of the shoulder, whose purpose is to soften the displacement and avoid any type of friction that could cause pain. When these bursae become inflamed, they cause this pathology. The symptoms that occur are inflammation, accompanied by pain and redness of the affected area, and in some cases, it is difficult to move properly.
One of the reasons why basketball players are so prone to bursitis is because it is caused by repetitive movements. An example of this can be seen during a basketball game, where the athlete constantly raises his arms to throw the ball over his head, either to dunk it into the basket or to pass to another player. This type of mobility causes irritation of the bursa, so it is advisable to wear a shoulder brace.
Rotator cuff injury
The rotator cuff is responsible for providing stability and strength to the shoulder. But when the tendons that make up the rotator cuff become inflamed, it causes an injury that is generally manifested by a strong inflammation, which is accompanied by a stabbing pain. A recurrent cause is the performance of sports and work activities, where a series of actions are carried out that lead to sudden movements. These types of movements cause an impact on the shoulder, inflaming the tendons.
It often occurs among players of this discipline, which is made up of a series of constant and sudden movements. As can be seen in one of these matches, where the athlete, while running from one end of the court to the other, tends to make inopportune movements involving the head, arms and shoulders, in order to avoid the offensive of the members of the opposing team. These kinds of movements can lead to these kinds of painful injuries.
Shoulder fractures occur when the clavicle bone and in other cases the humerus bone is broken or cracked. They are the result of a sudden impact on the arm during a sporting event. This kind of condition is accompanied by intense pain, swelling and discolouration of the skin, not to mention the inability to move the arm and quite pronounced swelling.
During basketball practice, there are possibilities for this type of injury, as it is quite common for players to collide with each other while running on the court, hitting their shoulders hard, and sometimes they may fall to the court and injure the joint.
What kind of sports shoulder braces are best for injuries in basketball players?
Basketball is one of the most popular sports, but at the same time it is one of the most likely to suffer an injury on the court, with the most common injuries being to the shoulder. One way to minimise these possibilities is to use compression sports shoulder sleeves.
Shoulder compression braces sleeves
Sports shoulder braces are an excellent garment for the treatment of injuries. The compression it exerts on the joint has beneficial effects on health, as it allows better blood circulation, thus improving pain, swelling, sprains, bursitis and much more. In addition, it provides a correct stability to the joint that avoids sudden movements, speeding up the healing process and avoiding relapses. This type of product was also designed to provide the shoulder with the protection it needs and allow the player to perform well on the court. It not only reinforces the joint, but also allows the player to move in such a way that he can perform well in his sporting activities.
Orthopaedic shoulder supports
The orthopaedic sports shoulder supports are the ones that are more focused on treating and helping in the recovery of any type of injury or trauma to the shoulders that the athlete may have acquired, especially if it is a serious case. This type of shoulder brace limits as much as possible all kinds of movements of the joint, and at the same time prevents serious accidents. Thanks to these benefits, they are highly recommended for basketball athletes when they have suffered falls, dislocations or high intensity fractures and are undergoing rehabilitation. The ligaments and rotator cuff are the most affected when the player is injured, so this garment provides the compression they need for effective recovery and also to prevent them.
Bilateral shoulder braces
It is called bilateral because it gives support and stability to both shoulders simultaneously. It is adjustable and has a double modality, because it is not only corrective, as it helps to alleviate any presented affection, but it can also be used during basketball games, giving the security and protection that the player needs in both shoulders. The arms are designed to be adjustable for comfort with two removable straps. They are usually made of foam material, breathable, soft and elastic for better movement, making it an ideal garment for basketball players.
What features should you consider before choosing the best sports shoulder brace for basketball?
The sports shoulder brace will be your ally to continue performing effectively in the sport you are so passionate about. Therefore, it is valid that before choosing, you evaluate a series of characteristics that allow you to choose the best option according to your needs and circumstances.
Some of the factors to evaluate are: functions, prices, materials, design, size and even the most suitable fastening:
Depending on their function
- Shoulder braces to alleviate pain: Aches and pains are so common in basketball, either after an injury, overtraining or other reasons that can generate these discomforts in the shoulders. Therefore, the most advisable is the use of sports compression shoulder sleeves, which will not only reduce inflammation and pain, but thanks to its design, provides a gentle pressure on the affected part of the body, activating the circulation and reducing any pain.
- Shoulder supports for protection: If what you need is to protect your shoulder from possible injury, it is recommended that you look for a shoulder support made of resistant materials, but at the same time soft, which will allow stability and comfort when carrying out your sports activities. The sports apparel provides you with the security and peace of mind you need to play basketball in the best possible way without fear of injury or harm.
- Shoulder braces with support: It is important that when you buy a shoulder brace, it has the required support, which gives stability to the joint in such a way that it allows you to recover. A garment such as the sports shoulder sleeve, with such features will facilitate that it adapts to the joint and can continue to comply with their basketball practices, without major complications.
- Immobilising shoulder braces: The use of immobilising sports shoulder braces is for very specific functions, as their very name indicates. They have a double function and impact as far as the shoulder is concerned (and also for the use you give it), as they can serve as a preventive for cases in which the joint has pain or a minor injury and prevents it from getting worse, and when it has suffered a major trauma, where it now needs a complement to help it recover.
Material of manufacture
In a product that is used daily, as is the case of sports shoulder braces, it is essential that it is made of comfortable materials, which do not cause any allergic reaction, which are flexible and soft, since you will use it for basketball practice, which requires proper maintenance of the body and health.
Among the ideal materials for the manufacture of these garments is neoprene, which is light and elastic, allowing it to adapt to the body according to its characteristics, but it is not breathable, which is why it is combined with other fabrics such as nylon and spandex. Other fibres that are used in the production of shoulder braces are foam, polyester, klevar, plastic, silicone, among others.
Although most companies use materials that are free of germs and allergic effects to the user, each of these materials should be analysed according to the skin and conditions of each person, which can create side effects.
Type of support
Fasteners are essential to prevent the garment from rolling or slipping. This ensures that the compression shoulder brace does its job, giving the shoulder the stability and security it needs. If you want to keep the product in the right place, it is necessary to evaluate the fasteners presented below and you can determine which one suits your needs:
- Adjustable straps with Velcro closure: This type of strap allows you to achieve the correct compression, thanks to the fact that they are adjustable, easy to close and each athlete can adapt it to their own needs and determine the degree of pressure they need.
- Neoprene: It is the most used material in the making of sports shoulder braces, this is due to its properties of resistance, subjection and compression of natural form that they exert in the articulation, generating in a same product, and without so many artifacts, the necessary support for the sports activities. Of course, if you want to complete it with other support accessories, it would be ideal for extra safety and protection.
- Hook and loop supports: These are easy to handle. Generally made of nylon, they have replaced the zip and buttons, avoiding possible failures of jamming or rusty zips. They allow adjustment and customisation of shoulder tension. They are good for basketball players, as they give you peace of mind that your shoulder is stable and protected.
When selecting a shoulder support, it is essential to check the size. It must fit just right, because if it is not the right size, it will not be able to fulfil the function for which it was designed. There are one-size-fits-all sizes, which generally use fastening systems so that you can have a more personalised fit.
Now, if you are one of those people who prefer a compression shoulder brace that completely adapts to your own measurements, then we will explain how you can take the size, so that you know what measurements you are looking for in the shoulder braces. The first thing you should do is use a tape measure, and with it measure the thickness of your arm, then measure your shoulders, specifically from armpit to armpit.
One of the things that immediately catches the eye when buying any item is the design. The colours used, the finish, the shape, among other aspects, is one of the first things that are detailed, which is the same when purchasing a sports shoulder brace. These garments are available in a wide variety of models in different colours, such as blue, black, grey and white.
Their design not only covers the aesthetic part, so that it is harmonious to the eye, but they have also been created to provide the relief and protection that is required to continue sporting activities in good taste and style. Therefore, it can be concluded that sports shoulder supports are the perfect combination of fashion and functionality, which are not easy to find in today's sports market.
Cost is one of the most sought after features for many people. But, its value is very fluctuating, as this will depend on many factors such as materials, design, function to be performed, fastening, local currency and much more, so you should primarily evaluate the need for which you want to acquire it, since the protection and care of your health, should be important aspects to be able to properly perform the practice of basketball.
Do compression shoulder braces really work for basketball?
As already explained, basketball is a sporting discipline that due to its repetitive movements and its high level of competitiveness on the court, some accidents can occur among the players themselves, resulting in shoulder injuries due to the constant and sudden mobility that must be exercised in this joint, being the compressive shoulder sleeves, the best solution to prevent and heal all kinds of injuries in that area.
Undoubtedly, this compression clothing is the best ally of the basketball player and athlete in general, since its benefits not only cover trauma, it is also possible to improve other aspects of health such as increasing blood circulation, bringing pain relief, reducing inflammation, among others. As well as sporting areas, such as increasing performance and a quick recovery after each match or training.
All these properties of the compression shoulder braces have been evaluated and studied by specialists in the sports and therapeutic area, providing greater security and confidence in these highly qualified products for all basketball players who want to increase their sporting capacity, while taking care of their health at the same time.