The feet are the limb that supports all the weight of the body, so over the years it accumulates wear and tear that deteriorates both soft and nervous tissues, which makes foot pain quite common after the age of 30, although young athletes are not exempt from it either.
Fortunately, there are several ways to alleviate the symptoms of foot pain by relying on certain products and articles specially designed to alleviate the discomfort in the lower limbs.
What are the causes and symptoms of foot pain?
Foot pain often comes on suddenly without any apparent injury, starting mildly and becoming more and more severe. Knowing how it manifests itself is essential in order to successfully determine its origin.
Foot discomfort is usually the result of a build-up of tension in the feet, but it can also be a sign of other serious problems. Here are the most common causes of foot pain:
- Plantar fasciitis: perhaps the most common of all, which occurs when the soft tissue of the sole of the foot (fascia) becomes inflamed, causing pain both when walking and when standing for long periods of time.
- Calcaneal spur: a cartilage formation that forms on the calcaneal bone of the heel that causes pain when walking, standing or to the touch.
- Fractures: a crack in one of the bones that make up the foot can cause a lot of pain as well as inflammation and walking limitations. The most commonly fractured bones are the metatarsals, the talus or the lower heads of the tibia and fibula.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome: this is a nerve that passes through the ankle to the toes which, when inflamed, generates constant pain that is particularly noticeable when standing for long periods of time or walking long distances.
- Bunions: this is a bony protrusion that is generated in the joint of the toe, which causes it to become deformed and generates severe pain to the touch or when wearing shoes that are too tight.
- Neuropathies: damage to one of the nerves in the foot caused by poorly treated fractures or even diabetes. This pain is usually caused by prolonged standing or walking.
- Foot arch drop: also known as flat feet, this is a deformity in the sole of the foot that causes it to lose its natural arch, which causes chronic pain that appears when standing for long periods of time.
- Metatarsalgia: this is damage to one of the metatarsals of the foot, which are responsible for articulating the toes. It manifests itself with a strong and intense pain, very common in athletes who carry out activities such as running or jumping.
- Tendonitis: if any of the tendons in the ankle or foot joints become inflamed, severe pain is generated throughout the limb.
- Cardiovascular problems: poor blood circulation can cause pain to be felt in the veins that cover the feet, manifested by wearing tight shoes or standing for long periods of time.
- Ingrown toenails: when a nail penetrates the cuticles, it can become infected and cause the nail to become ingrown, causing a lot of pain in the affected toe, especially when touched.
Foot pain, because it has so many different causes, can be accompanied by other symptoms that will help determine the source of the pain. Some of the most common are:
- Feeling like you have a stone in your shoe.
- Burning in the ball of the foot.
- Tingling in the toes.
- Numbness in the toes.
- Pain in the heel.
- Pain in the ankle.
- Tightness in the sole of the foot.
- Ankle deformity.
- Toe deformity.
- Instability when standing.
- Swelling in the toes.
- Clots in the nails.
- Bruising of the foot.
- Weakness on standing.
- Hallux toe (big toe) mounted on top of the second toe.
List of the best products for foot pain relief
To help you relieve your foot pain as soon as possible, we present the best products for it, which will help you recover as soon as possible from any injury that may be causing it, even some of these products in addition to relieving pain, can be useful for the prevention of injuries.
Ice Massage Roller Ball (Pink)£17,20 Add to basket
Trigger Point Massage Hook for Neck, Back & Shoulders (Navy)£25,82 Add to basket
Foot Massage Roller for Plantar Fasciitis (Green)£17,20 Add to basket
Foam Roller for Back, Legs, Calf and Hamstrings (Black/Gray)£21,51 Add to basket
Acupressure Mat and Pillow (Pink/Bordeaux)£43,07 Add to basket
Microwaveable Wheat Bag for Pain Relief (Sport)£17,20 Add to basket
Microwavable Heated Slippers (Oxford)£25,82 Add to basket
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Green)£21,51 Add to basket
Ankle Compression Sleeve (Green/Navy)£21,51 Add to basket
Compression Socks (Black/Gray)£17,20 Add to basket