This muscle group has one of the most important functions for mobility; maintaining the stability of the hip joint and generating knee flexion, two indispensable factors for a person to be able to walk stably. That is why a pain or injury in the thighs (quadriceps and hamstrings) can greatly affect a person’s quality of life.
Fortunately, some specially developed products can be used to achieve a quick recovery from thigh pain, so that a normal, unrestricted life can be resumed.
What are the causes and symptoms of thigh pain?
While in most cases thigh pain is fairly easy to treat, it is always worth paying attention to as it may indicate a severe problem in other parts of the body.
In most cases, thigh pain is mostly related to muscular problems, but sometimes it can also be synonymous with circulatory dysfunction and other causes such as the following:
- Muscle strains: this is an involuntary contraction of the quadriceps or hamstrings that generates a sharp but bearable pain, which usually occurs when doing a sporting activity that pushes this muscle group to the limit.
- Tears: if after a contracture the sporting activity is continued, the injury can be aggravated generating a rupture of the muscle fibres which can be partial or total.
- Contusions: receiving a strong blow to the thighs will cause the tissue to swell and hurt every time you try to activate the affected muscle. It is a sharp pain that will reduce over the days until it disappears.
- Tendonitis: some tendons such as the iliotibial band, which runs from the hip to the knee, can cause pain in the thighs when they become inflamed.
- Fracture of the femur: when this bone is fractured, it usually also damages the muscle fibres in the thighs, causing severe pain that will ease with the passing of days.
- Herniated disc: although this problem occurs in the back, the pinched nerve can cause pain to radiate to the lower limbs as well, causing discomfort in the upper thighs.
- Bernhardt-Roth syndrome: a condition caused by damage to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, which manifests as a sharp pain in the lateral aspect of the affected thigh.
- Peripheral neuropathy: is damage to a nerve in the legs very common in diabetics due to the blood degeneration of this disease. It manifests as mild but persistent discomfort and is therefore considered a chronic condition.
- Circulatory problems: poor blood circulation can cause the blood vessels in the thighs to swell, resulting in generalised pain throughout the entire muscle group.
- Blood clot: a blood clot in the leg is a serious problem because if it moves towards the heart or lungs it can cause an embolism that could lead to death.
- Myocardial infarction: many people experience severe pain or cramping in the thigh before suffering a heart attack.
Thigh pain is actually a symptom of a condition such as an injury or neuropathy, so it does not usually appear alone, but manifests itself with other symptoms such as:
- Stiffness in moving the leg.
- Tenderness in one spot of the leg.
- Unsteadiness when walking.
- Difficulty breathing if a blood clot is involved.
- Burning on the side of the muscle.
List of the best products to relieve thigh pain
To treat most thigh pain there are certain products that have been developed to alleviate this ailment that can cause so many problems to people’s lifestyles. These products are useful in the initial stages of the injury or when we have been suffering from the discomfort for a few weeks.
Ice Massage Roller Ball (Green)£17,20 Add to basket
Peanut Massage Roller (Navy)£17,20 Add to basket
Trigger Point Massage Hook for Neck, Back & Shoulders (Green)£25,82 Add to basket
Foam Roller for Back, Legs, Calf and Hamstrings (Pink/Bordeaux)£21,51 Add to basket
Acupressure Mat and Pillow (Green/Navy)£43,07 Add to basket
Wheat Bag for Microwave Classic Bottle Shaped (Sport)£21,51 Add to basket
Microwave Wheat Bag Extra Large for Back Pain Relief (Oxford)£25,82 Add to basket
Microwaveable Wheat Bag for Pain Relief (Hearts)£21,51 Add to basket
Thigh Compression Sleeve (Green/Navy)£21,51 Add to basket