The hip plays a fundamental role in the mobility of the legs and our whole body, and when it suffers from any kind of problem, a throbbing pain usually appears that makes the simple act of walking a challenge, ruining people’s quality of life.
Fortunately, hip pain can be alleviated thanks to certain products that medicine and technology have developed together for this very purpose. However, these are only intended to counteract this specific symptom and do not always eradicate the source of the symptoms.
What are the causes and symptoms of hip pain?
Hip pain can be a one-off symptom, it can appear when doing an activity such as walking or trying to run, or it can be a permanent discomfort, the latter being the clear manifestation that something major is going on in the joint.
Hip pain is a symptom of a problem in the joint, which although it can be something temporary and harmless, it can also be more serious, so it is always advisable to consult a doctor as the origin could be in one of the following causes:
- Bursitis of the hip: when the fluid sac that cushions the impact and prevents the ligaments and muscles from rubbing against the bones becomes inflamed, a sharp pain is generated in the joint that appears especially when walking or running.
- Tendonitis: there are several tendons involved in hip joint movement, so if any of them becomes irritated and inflamed, it will generate acute pain, which manifests as discomfort when walking or getting up and sitting down.
- Hip fracture: if you have recently suffered some kind of trauma caused by a fall, this may have caused a fracture in the bone structure of the hip, which not only causes intense and continuous pain, but also inflammation and the inability to move your legs.
- Glenoid impeller tear: this ring of fibrocartilaginous tissue that holds the femur to the hip may tear and cause severe pain in the joint, accompanied by other symptoms such as fever.
- Osteoarthritis of the hip: when the cartilage in the bones of the joint wears down, they begin to collide with each other, causing pain in the hip accompanied by stiffness and, if it is very advanced, even limitations in walking.
Hip pain is not usually alone if it is caused by a severe problem such as those mentioned above. Among the symptoms that usually accompany it we can identify:
- Stiffness and difficulty walking.
- Referred pain in the upper thigh or knees.
- Difficulty bending or getting up.
- Lower back pain.
- Lack of mobility.
- Swelling in the buttocks.
- Feeling of warmth in the painful area.
- General discomfort.
If the pain is recurrent and is accompanied by these or other symptoms, it is necessary to see a doctor for a correct diagnosis and to rule out more serious problems such as osteoarthritis, fractures or osteoporosis.
List of the best products for hip pain relief
To relieve hip and buttock pain, some interesting products have been developed that can help reduce the annoying symptoms caused by injuries and ailments in this joint, and can also be very useful as a preventive method.
Peanut Massage Roller (Pink)£17,20 Add to basket
Trigger Point Massage Hook for Neck, Back & Shoulders (Navy)£25,82 Add to basket
Foam Roller for Back, Legs, Calf and Hamstrings (Pink/Bordeaux)£21,51 Add to basket
Acupressure Mat and Pillow (Black/Gray)£43,07 Add to basket
Sacroiliac Support Belt (Pink)£34,45 Add to basket
Wheat Bag for Microwave Classic Bottle Shaped (Hearts)£21,51 Add to basket
Microwave Wheat Bag for Neck & Shoulder Pain Relief (Oxford)£21,51 Add to basket
Microwave Wheat Bag Extra Large for Back Pain Relief (Sport)£25,82 Add to basket
Microwaveable Wheat Bag for Pain Relief (Oxford)£17,20 Add to basket
Back Support Belt (Green)£34,45 Add to basket