Are you going to have a vasectomy operation? If so, you are probably looking for alternative treatments to relieve post-operative pain. Don't worry, hot and cold therapies are an excellent solution.
That's why we want to talk to you about how to use hot and cold gel packs to relieve post-operative pain from a vasectomy operation. Above all, because they are an immediate help to overcome the pain and inflammation of any surgery. The best thing is that they work in a very practical and simple way and don't require excessive treatment costs - take a look and find out all the details!
How can we reduce the symptoms and pain after a vasectomy operation?
Vasectomy is one of the simplest surgeries a man can have. It is one of the safest methods of permanent contraception, and is usually performed in the office because it is a very quick procedure.
Basically, it involves cutting the vas deferens that carry sperm from the testicles to the urethra. Afterwards, the sperm will not be able to leave the testicles to mix with the other fluids that create the semen. This leaves the man unable to get a woman pregnant.
During a vasectomy
The doctor places a local anaesthetic, so the patient will be awake and fully conscious, but without feeling any pain. In the surgery the doctor makes an incision in the upper portion of the scrotum, locates the deferential ducts and cuts them. Afterwards, he closes the incision with some stitches. As it is a simple procedure, the man can go home the same day.
After the vasectomy
As we have already explained, after the procedure the man can return home as soon as he feels comfortable. Within hours of the procedure you may begin to experience the following symptoms:
- Pain and discomfort: It is completely normal to experience pain. Although it is a simple surgery, a cut is made in the skin and the vas deferens. The procedure then generates a pain that should not be intense, but rather bearable.
- Haematomas: Some small haematomas can also be generated as a result of the cut of the blood capillaries. However, this is completely normal and they improve quickly.
- Swelling and oedema: Any trauma generated on the skin produces a vasodilation and the release of substances that favour a greater blood flow. This in turn allows fluid to be extravagated into the interstitial space, which generates oedema and swelling.
As a patient you must be very aware of the wound conditions and any symptoms you may present. There are warning signs that you can quickly detect such as the following:
- Fever: This is a clear sign of infection arising from a complication after surgery.
- Pus or blood: The first is a serious sign of infection resulting from bacterial contamination. Large amounts of blood are a warning sign that you should call your treating physician urgently.
- Pain or excessive swelling: These usually accompany the infectious processes and are an indication of re-evaluation and indication of further treatment.
It is important that the person has a comfortable and as satisfactory recovery as possible. To do this, it is necessary to follow the following post-operative recommendations:
- Avoid standing: During the first 48 hours it is important that you avoid standing or walking for long periods of time.
- Use tight underwear or a jockstrap: The idea is to keep the area of the testicles well fastened to avoid them becoming too swollen.
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers: Your doctor will need to prescribe a treatment to help relieve the pain and inflammation.
- Apply ice packs: To help with the swelling and pain, apply cold packs or gel packs. Cold is an excellent pain reliever and a powerful anti-inflammatory.
- Do not bathe: You will have to wait 48 hours to be able to bathe as usual.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects: For at least a week or a few more days it is not advisable to lift any kind of weight. It is also not advisable to do sports activities.
If none of these complications arise, it is normal that in a few days you can return to your daily activities. If your job is very physically demanding, the best thing to do is to wait a week. If you want to have sex again, you should rest for about a week. However, it will depend on how comfortable you feel, some men may wait a few days longer.
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Gold/Black)£9,95
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Orange/Pink)£9,95
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Purple/Turquoise)£9,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Black)£21,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Green)£21,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Pink)£21,95
What are the advantages of applying cold to reduce pain after a post-surgical vasectomy process?
The application of cold after any surgery has been used for decades. It has been scientifically proven that locally applied cold within the first 48 hours after surgery avoids the use of additional painkillers.
The physiological effects of the cold result in a considerable reduction in pain and inflammation. Furthermore, it is a very simple therapy to use, is economical, and is well tolerated by most people. These are the most important benefits that cold therapy offers in the case of a vasectomy:
- Analgesic effect: Lowering the skin temperature below 15°C has an analgesic effect. This causes a decrease in neurological activity and a loss of sensitivity within 1 hour of the application of the cold. That is why during a vasectomy where cold therapy is applied the use of analgesics is reduced.
- Anti-inflammatory effect: This therapy influences the permeability of the capillaries, cellular response and inflammatory reaction. Cooling the tissues reduces the release of allergenic substances by 70-80% and the release of reparative substances is reduced. In this way the inflammatory response is much less important at the level of the testicles.
- Effect of vasoconstriction: Vasoconstriction occurs as a physiological response in thermoregulation. The cold causes an alternating vasoconstriction and vasodilation that offers an effect on the reabsorption of the oedema at testicular level.
- It is very easy to use: In addition to all its physiological effects on vasectomy wounds, cold therapy is very easy to use. You only need to place cold compresses or use ice gel packs.
Ideal for those who are allergic to medication: It is very useful for people who are allergic to certain analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- No side effects: If the cold therapy is carried out correctly and with the necessary precautions, it does not generate side effects.
How can cold gel packs be used to reduce inflammation in the area operated on for a vasectomy?
Our gel pads are very useful to calm the pain and inflammation in case of a post-operative vasectomy. In order to cool it and use it correctly, it is necessary to follow the following recommendations:
- The first thing is to cool them, you must place them in the freezer or refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Then you must check that the temperature is correct to the touch. If it is not cold enough, you should leave it for another 30 minutes. If, on the other hand, you think it is too cold, then leave it to rest for a few minutes in the open air.
- If the temperature is perfect, start the exposure time. It is recommended to put protective covers or a cloth to be used in the testicular area. However, our cold gel packs do not require any cover or cloth for use.
- The correct time of use in the testicular area is 15 to 20 minutes every hour. It is important to repeat the procedure for 72 hours to achieve the desired effect.
- Cold therapy should be combined with the use of a cotton jockstrap to help reduce inflammation and pain.
When applying any cold therapy it is necessary to monitor the skin conditions. Any change in colour is a warning sign and should be stopped immediately.