Using hot and cold gel packs to relieve headaches and migraines is a very effective and 100% natural option. Its effectiveness is due to the fact that cold helps to reduce tension headaches and vascular headaches, including migraines.
In general, cold is more suitable than heat for treating these types of ailments. That's why we want to talk to you about the causes of headaches and what benefits you get from treating them with hot/cold gel-filled compresses. If you want to know more, come with us!
What are the causes and origin of headaches and migraines?
Headaches and migraines are a severe throbbing pain or pulsating sensation that usually occurs on one side of the head. This type of pain can last for hours or days, causing discomfort so intense that it could interfere with the sufferer's daily activities.
There are different causes associated with headaches and migraines. Some of them are associated with genetics and environmental factors, however, there are other triggers:
- Hormonal changes: The fluctuation of oestrogen in women before or during the menstrual period, menopause, pregnancy often causes headaches. Also, due to the intake of oral contraceptives.
- Stress: Overworking at home or at work can lead to stress and consequently migraines. Also, excessive noise and lighting can be triggers. Even emotional stress generated by situations with family and friends.
- Alcoholic drinks: The intake of drinks containing alcohol, especially wine, generates headaches as a symptom. Also, some drinks with too much caffeine such as coffee.
- Some illnesses: Headache can be a symptom of some illnesses, among the most common being fever, colds, and infections. Also, it occurs with dehydration or hypertension.
- Environment and surroundings: Some people get headaches from strong odors such as tobacco smoke, chemicals, household perfumes, allergens, and others. Also, sudden climate changes.
- Physical activity: Intense physical effort after sport or sexual activity could cause headaches.
- Changes in sleep: Getting too much sleep, suffering from insomnia, or a change in your usual sleep schedule could trigger migraines.
- Changes in diet: Missing meals could lead to headaches. Also, eating very salty foods, processed foods or aged cheeses. Even some additives such as monosodium glutamate (MSG) in some foods.
- Allergic reaction: People with seasonal allergies often have headaches in the sinus area and frontal area of the head.
- Post-traumatic: After developing some kind of injury or blow to the head. This type of pain could become chronic.
- Eye, back or neck distension: Generated by bad posture.
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Gold/Black)£9,95
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Orange/Pink)£9,95
Gel Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes (Purple/Turquoise)£9,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Black)£21,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Green)£21,95
Ice Pack for Foot - Cold Therapy Socks (Pink)£21,95
What are the advantages of applying cold to reduce headache, swollen eyes or migraines?
Most headaches are treated with prescription drugs. However, it is rarely recommended to take a pill to treat a headache every time your head hurts. Hence, there are natural and very effective alternatives to control the pain and discomfort that this type of pain generates. Among the main and most recommended ones is the application of cold.
Therefore, we want to talk to you about the advantages of using cold gel packs to treat migraines and headaches:
- 100% natural homemade alternative.
- You will reduce the excessive consumption of drugs that in the long run could trigger other health problems.
- It helps to control the pain and discomfort caused by throbbing headaches.
- Numbing effect that will reduce the sensation of pain.
- It is especially indicated in paediatric patients.
- It is very comfortable, safe and easy to apply.
How to use cold gel packs and eliminate migraines, headaches or puffy eyes?
There are many ways to apply the cold gel packs to treat headaches and migraines. However, our recommendation is that you consult your specialist before trying any of these options:
Use the cold gel mask
You can opt for a gel-filled bag, although our most recommended product for treating headaches and migraines is the cold gel mask. First of all, you should place any of these options in the freezer or refrigerator for a minimum period of 2 hours.
Before you put the cold gel mask or gel pad on your head you must make sure that it has the right temperature. If you think it's too cold, let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature until it reaches the right temperature.
Place the gel pack on the forehead, temples, neck, and back of the head for 15-20 minutes. It is important not to exceed this time. It is recommended to alternate sessions of 15 minutes of cold and 15 minutes of rest until the pain has completely subsided.
If the pain is at the back of the eye, it is highly recommended to place the cold gel mask over the eyes to find relief.
Combine with a massage and rest
Massaging the temples and muscles of shoulders and necks will relieve muscle tension. Then you should relax and take a break. It is important to take a quiet nap so that sleep relieves the pain. If you find it difficult to relax, you can try deep breathing, yoga or meditation. Also, listen to relaxing music or just lie still.
Eating on time and drinking plenty of fluids is essential to relieve headaches. As dehydration could make it worse and prolong it.
In case the gel ice pack does not include a cover, you must place a cloth to avoid direct contact with the skin. Fortunately, our products include a soft and pleasant to the touch cover, so you don't have to worry about this.
You should monitor your skin while it's in contact with the cold. In case of redness, blisters, burns or numbness you should stop immediately. Also, avoid applying cold to broken or irritated skin or people with circulatory problems.