The wrist is one of the most fragile joints, suffering constant injuries, from lifting an object poorly to taking excessive weight in your hand. Compression garments help prevent and reduce injuries common to everyday life or sports training.
Knowing the benefits, characteristics, uses and types of ailments in which it can be used are of the utmost importance for the correct use of the wrist brace, which we will explain below.
In what type of injuries are orthopaedic wrist braces recommended?
The symptoms of pain can vary according to the condition. Although the wrist, hand and fingers have the ability to generate a great deal of movement, we should avoid sharp turns. These joints do not have much protection and can easily be affected.
Some common injuries are:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: This is a damage that is found in the middle nerve, which allows the wrist to be sensitive and most of the movements we make with our hand. Having this condition can cause tingling, weakness, numbness or muscle damage. In some cases, people are born with this condition and their symptoms appear over time, either from a fall or even from poor movement.
- Ganglion cyst: These are benign lumps. They form on the tendons, wrist or hand, and can also appear on the foot or even the ankle. It has a rounded appearance and contains a gelatinous substance. Sometimes, it can be painful because it is touching or rubbing a nerve.
- Fractures: This is one of the most frequent causes that affect this area due to falling, hitting or tripping. The human body itself has thousands of reflexes and the hands are the most used, either to cushion the blow or to cover us. Similarly, sportsmen and women are more prone to break their wrists due to bad or sudden movements.
- Tendinitis: This occurs when the tendon becomes inflamed or irritated, usually causing pain and sensitivity outside the joints. This condition can damage the tendons of the shoulder, wrists, elbows, knees and heels.
- Arthritis: This is a condition where there is swelling and some tenderness in one or more joints. The first symptoms are: pain and a strong stiffness in the affected area that worsens with age.
- Sprains: These are the most common injuries that occur from a fall. The hand tends to bend when it falls to the ground or other causes, affecting the area and producing a contusion between its ligaments.
- Lymphedema: It is a swelling due to the excess of white blood cells because the lymphatic system is obstructed and therefore it affects the arms and legs. Although, for this disease there is no cure.
- Osteoarthritis: It refers to the wear and tear of the cartilage that is located between the bones causing friction between them. It is a type of arthritis and we can notice it when we have burning, pain, among others.
- Raynaud's Phenomenon: It is a change of colour in the fingers and toes produced by low temperatures, either by taking something cold or being in an air-conditioned room. This blocks the blood flow in these joints. The cause can be repeated injuries, from arthritis, drugs, among others.
- Dupuytren's contracture: It is a disorder of the fascia that is located inside the palms of the hands. It is generally hereditary and affects the mobility of two fingers (ring or little finger).
What are the health benefits of wrist support for wrist tendinitis?
Compression clothing is essential for any type of rehabilitation. Whether for a fracture, sprain or other wrist injuries.
Here are some health benefits:
- Reduces inflammation: The compression on the hand joint causes a reduction in swelling.
- Compresses the wrists: It does so in all parts of this joint and contributes to good blood circulation.
- After an injury: They are your best ally in the recovery process, because they immobilize the hand while the injury heals. Thus, facilitating the day-to-day work without putting your health at risk.
- You won't stop training: We know the importance of doing sports activities and the limitations that exist in the face of any injury. With the garment you will be able to continue with these habits without the need for excessive effort.
- Pain relief: The heat and compression are ideal to remove any ailment.
It avoids injuries: Reduce the sudden movements that we can make in our hands and in this way you will be able to continue with your activities without fearing a contusion.
- Keeps the temperature: You will have the right temperature in your muscles, no matter if you are in the cold or the heat.
- Post-operative: You will also be able to use it after any surgical intervention thanks to the immobility and rapid recovery it causes. They are used for purely therapeutic purposes.
What features should you consider before choosing the best elastic wrist sleeve to reduce pain?
Inflammation is a very uncomfortable condition that can affect our daily activities. If you want to reduce it or avoid suffering from it, wrist braces are ideal for these situations, and here we explain everything you need to know before making your purchase.
This is one of the most important points when choosing the elastic wrist sleeve. This is because if it is too tight it can cause problems in the blood circulation, leading to more serious conditions, and if it is too loose, it will not provide adequate compression.
Being a garment with the purpose of improving health, it does not mean that it is boring or unpleasant to look at. The most used colours are: grey, black, beige, purple and pink. They are combined with stripes or other forms, which achieve a variety of designs for the taste and personality of people who require it.
Also, most of them are unisex, so you will not have problems to find a garment with any distinction of sex. At the same time, you can get them with different materials depending on the function of their use: with velcro closure, with open or closed fingers and more.
The cost will depend on some factors such as: the design, materials to be used and even the country of residence for the local currency. In addition, the quality in the manufacture and the use of medical materials make the price of the product increase considerably, but we will make sure that we are buying a 100% reliable wrist support.
How to use compression wrist support for wrist pain relief?
These garments are the best solution for the relief of any type of injury, whether due to a fall, a blow or tendinitis. But, a bad use can generate serious consequences in the health.
Here we explain you how to do it correctly:
- Use the right size: A very small wrist brace can hinder blood circulation.
- Wash your hands properly before and after wearing the wrist support.
- Do not wear watches, tight bracelets, rings or other objects.
- It maintains, controls pain and mobility of the hands and wrists.
- It is recommended to use the wrist brace at least 8 hours a day to see quick results.
- They can be used both during the day and at night.
- Sports: You can do any physical or sporting activity with these protective pieces. You will feel safe in any movement, you will avoid injuries and any blisters or calluses.
- Everyday tasks: If you have any bruises or simply want to prevent them. These garments are ideal for you because, with the comfort and support they offer, you can walk, run, go to work or do all kinds of tasks while protecting your wrists.
- Healing time: It all depends on the injury or illness you have. It is recommended to wear it 8 hours a day, therefore, the only sure thing is that the longer you wear the compression garment, you will be able to have a better and faster recovery.