Football is a high performance sport that requires a lot of effort and dedication. It promotes the well-being of body and mind. Because of its high demands, it is normal for athletes to get injured and leave the field of play until they are completely healed. Many of these incidents can be avoided with the use of knee braces suitable for this type of activity.
In this article you will find a detailed analysis of the best knee compression sleeves for football, it is an important topic that will guide you to choose the one that best suits your requirements, if you want to know more read on.
What are the most common knee injuries when we play football?
Injuries usually occur from poorly executed movements and collisions between players, the knee, ankle and head being the most affected parts of the body. Among the most common injuries we have:
Anterior cruciate ligament
The anterior cruciate ligament is one of the main muscles of the knee. It can be injured during football practice due to jumps, sudden stops, changes of direction and other movements that affect the knee ligaments.
For a person who practices this discipline it is really negative, depending on the case he may miss a whole season. The first thing you'll notice is the imbalance of the body, the swollen knee, you'll have trouble maintaining your own weight and of course the pain, depending on the severity may require minor surgery and rehabilitation until completely healed.
If you are a professional or practice for pleasure, it is important to warm up, use protective equipment, accessories and include massage in training exercises in order to prevent or reduce injuries to the anterior cruciate ligament.
The meniscus is made of cartilage and is C-shaped, which acts as a bearing between the shin bone and the thigh bone, facilitating knee movement and preventing wear and tear from bone rubbing. It is common to hear about meniscus injuries and more so in sports such as football, where you have to turn or twist quickly and sometimes put all your weight on one leg. These are violent movements that can produce breaks in the meniscus causing intense pain, swelling and stiffness of the joint or total blockage.
For a professional football player it can mean losing much or all of the season. Regardless of the situation it is advisable to get total rest with ice and medicine provided by the doctor to heal quickly and return to sports activities.
Medial collateral ligament
The medial collateral ligament connects the femur bone to the tibia, and its function is extremely important as it prevents the knee from moving sideways. The injury is based on a dislocation that can be partial or total. Its symptoms are: pain, inflammation and instability.
In football, it is produced by rapid changes of direction, which are very frequent in this sport in order to avoid the player of the opposite team. Other reasons could be the twisting of the knee while running, since it does not have a good control of this when its concentration is based on the ball, and also possible, but not common, to receive a strong blow in the lateral part of the joint, causing the injury of the medial collateral ligament.
It is one of the most frequent in any sportsman or woman. It is an overuse injury that inflames the patellar tendon, which is a tissue that connects the kneecap to the tibia. At first, it does not appear to be a serious trauma, which is why people continue with their daily routine, but this is a condition that, if left untreated, will get worse over time, to the point of having to undergo surgery.
Football, being such a demanding sport, requires daily and constant physical training as well as games on the field; it is normal for patellar tendinitis to occur due to excessive use of the knee. Furthermore, one of the main causes of this injury is running, an activity that footballers must perform frequently.
It is the most feared injury for those who love football and it is not for less, it is three injuries in one, linking the anterior cruciate ligament, the internal lateral ligament and the internal mechanism. There are several factors that can increase its percentage, here influences the age, previous injuries and the state of the ligaments.
In the case of the footballer, this trauma occurs due to the lateral impact on the knee or the support in a deceleration. Some footballers in their experience, comment that a snap is heard, the following is an intense pain and instability when walking on uneven ground. In these cases, the treatment consists of submitting the patient to a surgical intervention depending on the case, usually using the patient's own tissue to avoid rejection by the body.
What type of knee braces and patellar straps are best for footballer injuries?
Every sportsman or woman has injuries at some time, you can treat it from home or in extreme cases a surgical intervention is performed, depending on the case you should use knee pads and compression tapes to heal as soon as possible and return to activities. The sports market is surrounded by a great variety of these products, but we will show you the best kneepads and compression tapes for footballers' injuries.
The following articles are a reference for sportsmen because of their excellent quality/price ratio:
Knee compression sleeves
It performs an even compression on the knee, helps to treat injuries, reduce stress, pain, discomfort and much more. It's easy to use, just adjust the garment and it will make the necessary pressure for a greater and better blood circulation which, is the main point for all its therapeutic benefits. It is an indispensable element for football players who constantly suffer from these types of ailments either in training or in matches, due to bad movements or contusions caused by them or other players.
Patellar tendonitis strap
It is a tape that is placed just below the kneecap and exerts pressure, its objective is to diminish the tension accumulated by sporting activities. It can also be used to treat tendonitis, problems with the kneecap or other related problems.
Chondromalacia patella band
It's an elastic band made of non-slip silicone that helps keep the kneecap in place, provides adjustable pressure thanks to its elastic bands that adapt perfectly to the surface of the knee, helps relieve pain, discomfort, tension or any other problem, you can use it to treat injuries to the knee.
What features should you consider before choosing the best sports knee brace for playing football?
Sports knee braces are very useful for treating trauma, reducing pain, discomfort, tension or any other problem. Each one fulfills a specific purpose and you should buy them according to your case. Before choosing the best sports knee brace for playing football, you should know what the material is, the size of the product and more, to make the right choice.
According to its function
This compression garment is a great alternative to comply with the activities 100% you can use it in and out of the field depending on the case. In general terms they are designed to reduce pain, tension, discomfort and discomfort in the knee. Before purchasing any of them it is advisable to consult with your trainer to help you in your choice.
You can use it for:
- Knee braces to recover from injuries: Of its many functions, the treatment of injuries stands out because, due to the compression, stability and good temperature that it provides to the knee, it accelerates the recovery process, because the muscles and the entire joint are in constant rest, thanks to the support of the sports knee brace or belt.
- Knee braces to relieve pain: Pain is so frequent in football players, whether due to overuse, injuries, over-training or other reasons, that it generates these discomforts, which affect good performance on the pitch. The compressive therapy provided by the garment drastically reduces these symptoms.
- Protective knee supports: You can play football with the confidence that your knees will always be protected thanks to the compressive garments. Their material prevents direct knocks and also generates a state of relaxation in the joint due to their stability, which prevents any sudden movements you may make from affecting them.
- Open knee braces: Open knee braces leave the kneecap exposed, but are the support it needs if it is injured, as the garment will do all the work in mobilisation. It is not the favourite of many sportsmen and women because it does not completely cover the joint.
- Closed knee braces: They cover the knee completely and therefore protect more areas of the knee. It is the favourite of most buyers for this purpose. They perfectly protect even the smallest or minimal area of the joint. It stabilizes, supports and helps, without a doubt a good option.
The sports knee braces for football vary in model and manufacture depending on the case to be treated. For their manufacture, absorbent fabric, neoprene, silicone and other materials are used which offer elasticity, comfort, resistance and protection. If you want to carry out your sporting activities 100%, it is essential that you acquire a knee brace.
- Absorbent fabric: It is made of a very thin and resistant fabric, has the capacity to absorb large amounts of liquid without deforming or deteriorating, is comfortable and gives total freedom to make safe movements without suffering injuries. It is an essential material for the manufacture of the sports knee brace
- Silicone pad: It is an internal filling made of quality silicone that provides rigidity, comfort and protection against any impact. It is an extra complement added by some manufacturers to many sports knee braces and is mostly used in sports such as football, basketball and other extreme sports that require protection and comfort.
Type of support
According to the taste or need of the sportsman or woman, there are each type of support to have a greater firmness of the knee braces. Some of the fastening systems are bi-directional, making it easy to fasten the device at any angle. Depending on the situation, there will be different types of fastening, generally these devices will fit perfectly to the surface of the knee.
- Knee brace with Velcro straps: Velcro straps play a fundamental role in sports knee braces, nowadays many of the manufacturers use them in their devices, due to their quality and resistance. One of the advantages offered by this device is the adjustment of pressure on the knee in any direction without risk of detachment.
- Non-slip silicone knee brace: This is an elastic material that adapts perfectly to the shape of the knee and prevents slipping when performing any sporting activity. As well as being non-slip, it helps to keep the joints warm and improves blood circulation. It is ideal for preventing injuries during sports activities.
- Neoprene knee brace: It is an insulating, resistant, elastic and protective material. It can be bent in various ways without breaking or losing its initial texture, it is comfortable and gives freedom to a great number of movements without risk of injury. These are some of the reasons that manufacturers have for using it in the manufacture of their knee supports.
Being clear about the size the player is wearing is important, as choosing the ideal size will make the use of the knee brace comfortable and safe. It should be noted that the measurement process of these products is carried out with a tape measure, this course determines more accurately the correct size to be used. The results should be compared with the table provided by the manufacturer.
|WHERE TO MEASURE?|
|Measure the circumference of the thigh, 4 inch/10 cm up from the center of the kneecap (*View image)
*Note: If after measuring you are between two sizes, choose the larger size
In general they have a practical design according to the case for which it is used, sporty and updated for the pleasure of the sportsman or woman. Nowadays, you can find knee compressive sleeves with textures in fabric and other materials used, this is a detail that many people like.
The current market has expanded its repertoire of products with intense colours out of the ordinary, and thanks to this change, sales have increased considerably. As well as looking for a garment that meets their requirements, people want a product that makes a difference in its texture and shape of colours.
If you want to have a knee brace that protects the joint or helps in the recovery of injuries, you should choose to know its manufacturing materials, so that it generates the desired results. When you make a comparison, you will realize that their costs are higher than other garments that do not offer benefits beyond a slight compression.
Compression sports knee braces are currently the most efficient and high quality products. This is also reflected in their prices, since they do not estimate costs, only the manufacture according to the stability and protection that the knee needs to exercise the benefits for which it was acquired.
Do compression knee braces for football really work?
For most footballers, this is an indispensable product on and off the sports field. It is used to treat injuries and other discomforts in the knee. Since its introduction on the market it has attracted the attention of many because of its effectiveness. Its use in sportsmen is based on the recommendation of specialists and coaches, who confirm its effectiveness.
This garment provides compression in the knee area, helping to keep the joints warm, promoting blood flow and improving performance in physical and sporting activities. So, in short, they do work.
Today it has become an indispensable product to maintain the good health of the knees, which are so used by practitioners of this discipline, who understand the risk they are exposing by not covering and protecting the joint, compromising their professional future.