Basketball injuries are common, especially to the knees. This happens because the joint, being in constant movement and flexibility, suffers from overloading or muscle contractions, therefore you should stop any physical activity and not continue training for a long time.
Knee compression sleeves are the most effective solution for any type of sprain, providing the support you need both before and after any injury. To better understand this wonderful garment, you will need to know its types, the traumas it treats, characteristics and how it works, which we explain below.
What are the most common knee injuries when we play basketball?
Basketball is a sport practiced worldwide, both professionally and in everyday life. Over time, statistics have shown that the majority of injuries in this discipline affect the knee, as this is where lateral force and sudden movements are concentrated.
Among the most frequent traumas are:
It refers to the sprain or injury of the ligaments. This occurs due to the stresses and sudden movements caused by the tearing of the ligaments, which can form a dislocation if not treated in time. The knee is made up of four ligaments: inner lateral, outer lateral, posterior cruciate and anterior.
Trauma may be partial or complete in this area. Its causes are in fact any fall or impact that generates the sprain of the same, therefore, in sports practice is so regular that these cases occur.
Basketball is a discipline that requires rapid changes of direction and, while running, falls, slips or trips with other players can occur. Therefore, people who practice it, are prone to suffer injuries, either minor or serious in the knee. It should be noted that any injury or fracture in the athlete could cause the end of his career, therefore, the precaution should always be indispensable.
It is the inflammation of small, indurated capsules that contain or enclose synovial fluid and hinder the correct functioning of the joint, causing functional impotence, stiffness, pain, robbery, increased local heat, leading to an inflammatory process.
In basketball, it tends to be the most painful because its cause comes from direct blows to the front or falls on the knees. Also, the constant pressure exerted on the joint, either by exercising or by a game, will put you at risk of suffering this trauma.
It should be borne in mind that it usually occurs with simple inflammation, but it is important to diagnose the extent to which it is affected as this could have serious repercussions. It is vital to know that, if you are involved in a risk stage, you will require immediate surgical intervention, which provides a ban on sport for physical exertion.
Well known as “jumper’s knee”. It is an injury that can be established by overuse, such as intense or excessive training, exercises on uneven terrain or a change in the surface of the sports practice, which can present as an inflammation in patellar tendinitis and, causes a strong pain in the external face of the knee.
In basketball, this occurs very often, as it is a sport whose purpose is to shoot the ball into the hoop of the opposing team and, to achieve its objective, it is necessary to perform jumps constantly. It is important to point out that the knee is a joint with limited movement so, by using it continuously and without any type of precaution, it could lead to breakage.
Iliotibial band injury
The iliotibial band is a connective tissue (tendon) that runs along the outside of the leg, from the region of the coxal bone to reach part of the leg and its union in the tibia. This band or band fulfils the function of providing part of the support to the muscles and joints.
In basketball players who perform high performance activities, such as people who play basketball or exercise it as a profession, this band or headband loses elasticity, and causes an inflammatory problem by direct friction against muscles and bones.
The band of the iliotibial tissue is the one that suffers most damage in sports, because it is the one that is always exposed to jumps, which is natural in any discipline; therefore, it is necessary to put pressure on the affected area.
Injury of the anterior cruciate ligament
It is the tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament as a result of an injury. These contusions are very frequent in the practice of sports that require certain sudden and abrupt movements. Basketball is the sports area that most affects this trauma, because, due to the condition of the game, they must make jumps with falls, sudden stops, changes of direction without premeditation, and more.
The case in this discipline is so serious, that they have made analysis and statistics of the most frequent injuries in the NBA, concluding that 14% of the total of their players have suffered this injury at some time in their career. The same study determined that female athletes are much more likely to suffer this trauma for neuromuscular, hormonal and anatomical reasons.
Therefore, it is recommended that due attention be paid to this important area of the leg, and even more so for those who practice this sport, who require it with obligation and in very good condition. Otherwise, it could be the end of your career.
What type of knee braces and patellar straps are best for basketball injuries?
Today, thanks to all the technological advances, there are many ways to treat knee injuries. But, without a doubt, the best way to do so is through knee braces or patellar straps. With the pressure they exert on the joints, you can improve blood circulation which results in: deflation, pain relief and rapid recovery. There are many types of compression garments, but here we indicate the best ones:
Knee compression sleeve
This garment was created for therapeutic purposes and covered the entire sports branch, especially basketball. It became the favourite way to combat and prevent injuries that can be caused during or after the game. The purpose of this garment is to exert pressure over the entire knee area, in order to achieve better blood circulation that brings so many benefits such as: Relieving pain, reducing inflammation, recovering from injuries and preventing relapses.
Patellar tendonitis strap
It is a tape that is placed just below the kneecap and exerts pressure on the tendon to reduce the tensions resulting from excessive training. It has become one of the most widely used methods for treating any kind of problem with the kneecap or its tendon, especially injuries. The tape basically immobilizes the tendon while applying the pressure needed for a quick and satisfactory recovery.
Stabilizing knee brace
After an injury, one must go through a recovery process, which is usually painful and slow depending on the severity. With this garment it won’t have to be like that. Specialized in recovering from serious trauma such as: rupture of the anterior or lateral cruciate ligament. It provides the stability, flexion, support and comfort you need for these difficult moments.
What features should you consider before choosing the best basketball sports knee brace?
For many years, the knee brace has become a sports fashion, not only because of its designs and variety of colours, but also because of all the benefits it offers, such as: avoiding injuries, having a better performance and a fast recovery process.
Now, to choose the right sports knee brace, you must identify the objective you want with them, and then know other important characteristics such as: sizes, prices, designs, models and much more information that we will provide you here.
According to their function
Each knee brace has a specific purpose that is oriented to a solution or improvement, some types are:
- Knee braces for pain: After suffering an injury or slip due to sport, pain will appear in an incisive way which completely disables the functioning of your activity.
- Knee covers: Their main quality is the type of support they offer, generating comfort and extension to alleviate pain in the affected area.
- Knee braces with pads: They contain an additional padding that covers the front of the knee with straps that hold them in place. Widely used in volleyball because they reduce the risk of injury and help reduce discomfort.
- Long knee sleeves: These are the most common in sports. They can cover the calf and the thigh, offering hardness for their practices. In addition, long-sleeved knee sleeves are the most used for treating injuries or when they have pain in that area, because they are able to immobilize and cover more areas.
- Knee supports for stabilization: Stabilizing injuries will help a quick recovery, since knee braces are designed to provide immobilization and avoid sudden movements that may affect the injury.
- Hinged knee braces: The most peculiar thing is their ease in adapting the balance offering the necessary stability and generating a kind of pressure contrast in the knee.
- Semi-rigid knee supports: Their use is recommended in a post-injury environment, that is, when you want to return to sports and have suffered some trauma, it is important that you do so with this type of garment.
- Therapeutic knee supports: Those for therapeutic use are the most recommended by physiotherapists or traumatologists specialised in sports injuries or forced practice, for this reason it is considered important to know their most common types for therapy or rehabilitation.
- Orthopaedic knee brace: They are the most recommended when treating long-term injuries, that is, when there is a blunt force or after-effects of the blows. One of their characteristics is that they are the most bulky of all.
- Padded knee braces: These have a cushion in the central part of the knee which acts as a kind of shield against blows coming in the direction of the knee. They offer heat and compression due to the material of their manufacture.
- Knee braces with opening: This type is used in pre-surgery situations, offering pressure on the edges and a small opening in the centre of the knee. This will allow the frequency and evolution of the same to be evaluated.
- Protective knee supports: This is the preferred type on the market, because it guarantees protection for the kneecap and the sides of the knee, avoiding direct blows, which cause the largest and most frequent injuries in the world of basketball.
- Open knee braces: They offer a better mobility during the game because they have uncovered parts, which generates perspiration. But it does not guarantee total protection from shocks. On the other hand, these types of knee braces for ligaments are usually used when there is an injury at kneecap level.
- Closed knee braces: Orthopaedic braces are the most commonly used because they provide fixation by completely covering the knee. They are also of multiple uses, for training and recovery. What characterises them is their capacity to maintain pressure and rigidity without dislocating, offering warmth to the extremities.
The material is very important because it will determine the quality and performance of the knee pads or compression straps; this is one of the most studied points before choosing or acquiring the garment. The first thing that will be evaluated is the fabric used, there are all shapes, colours and with different characteristics, so the merger of several causes a material as strong and durable as we have today in the garments.
We will explain two of the best ones:
- Neoprene: It is the most used in knee pads. Among the characteristics, we can highlight its waterproofing, it keeps the heat in the area, easy movement and flexibility.
- Nylon: It is a type of thermoplastic polyamide that stands out for its hardness, resistance to wear and tear, is ultra-light and breathable.
- Elastic fabric: Elastane fibres make the perfect contrast with neoprene or nylon to create a high quality and durable piece. It absorbs humidity, is resistant and you can stretch it as much as you want without affecting its initial position.
The importance of choosing breathable materials should be stressed, because otherwise it will create a negative effect on the piece due to the discomfort you might feel.
Type of support
Holding is the effect of holding. Which is an important point when choosing the ideal knee brace, because there is no point in having a garment that will not stay in place. Usually, the knee brace adheres to your body but, if you want to regulate the pressure or have more security, these are the best options you’ll have:
- Neoprene: This is a material widely used in this discipline because, without other accessories, you can have the stability you need in your knee brace and train without major complications.
- Velcro: This is a fastening system, ideal for this type of clothing. Its use is based on regulating and controlling the pressure on the knee as the person wishes, therefore, it creates a good support.
- Non-slip gel: It is designed to be anti-slip and non-slip, so you can do any physical and sporting activity with just this type and without worrying about the knee brace moving or sliding down.
Size is one of the most important points in completing the operation of knee pads, because if they are smaller or larger, it can affect the operation or negatively alter the results. To choose the right size, you must take the measurement of the contour of the knee, specifically above the kneecap with a symmetrical tape to evaluate it correctly. Here is a table for you to compare the results and obtain the size for the purchase of the garment.
Design is the creative and striking part of the market, in this area there has been a very pronounced evolution varying from colours, models, and projection elements. Its preparation is the most careful, this is because they depend on the type of leagues or fabrics for the correct function of the garments. The aim is for the muscles to mould themselves in the best possible way, avoiding sweating, excess pressure or material that affects the skin.
The image is one of the most important points of an athlete, since he has an endless number of followers and must always maintain his characteristic style. This will not be a problem with sports knee pads, as thanks to the variety of colours, designs and made with the highest quality, it will make you look fashionable while protecting your joints that are the basis of your career.
The cost of the sports knee pads should be evaluated as for any other garment, depending on its functionalities. These products have certain factors that make them stand out from the rest, such as: their resistance, quality, flexibility, support, durability and more.
It is possible that you can get very low amounts in the market but, you must consider that the most expensive ones are those that have more duration and better characteristics that will manage to fulfill the desired objectives. So protect the joint well and make the best investment for the evolution of your sports career, with the acquisition of the compression sports knee pads.
Do compression knee braces for basketball really work?
Various doctors and physiotherapists recommend the use of this garment because they believe it achieves a rapid recovery. And it is not for less, only with putting it in the knee, performs a compression in the veins, which causes a better blood circulation. This leads to certain health benefits: reduces inflammation, prevents blood problems, relieves pain and heaviness in that area of the body and others.
Therefore, its functioning in basketball is more than positive and advantageous, because it is not only a support for the recovery from injuries, it also exerts an advanced protection that helps to keep the knee always in place and protects you from any trauma you may suffer on the court.
Without a doubt, knee compression sleeves are the perfect ally for every basketball player, making you feel more secure and confident at every moment of your professional life.