Tendons are transmitters of the force required to mobilise the joints. For this reason, different tendons are found in the ankle; both in the anterior part (extensors of the toes and ankle) and also in the posterior part (the Achilles tendon and the flexor of the big toe).
However, due to various eventualities, it is possible that these tendons can become overloaded, triggering an inflammatory process and leading to peroneal tendonitis. Since this is a common injury in athletes, it is appropriate to know how it can be relieved with the help of a compression ankle brace, and here we explain why.
What is ankle tendonitis and what are its symptoms?
Tendonitis is a pathology that involves inflammation of the tendons. Consequently, ankle tendonitis refers to an injury that causes swelling or swelling of the tendons that make up the malleolus. These are mostly inflamed due to overuse or certain sporting activities that generate significant stress or strain on the lateral tendons.
One of the most common tendinitis in this part of the body refers to Achilles tendinitis and basically consists of the alteration of this tendon, which is responsible for connecting the calf muscles to the heel bone. It is also known as peroneal tendonitis, which is defined as an acute inflammation of the tendon of the peroneal muscles and is common in runners who have instability in their ankles.
Ankle tendonitis is a condition caused by the following causes and risk factors:
- Sports overloads.
- Inadequate technical gestures or movements.
- Use of poor footwear.
- Walking or running on uneven surfaces.
- Minimal, continuous tendon ruptures (micro-traumatic factor)
- Ionic imbalances (lack of potassium).
- Lack of hydration.
- Incorrect body posture.
- Deviations of the leg or heel.
To correctly diagnose tendonitis in the ankle region, the following signs and symptoms must be known:
- Pain in the injured ankle.
- Stiffness and discomfort in the joint.
- Inflammation and swelling.
- Difficulty in moving the joint.
- Cracking or popping sound when moving the ankle (or pressing on the affected tendon).
- Weakness in the leg affected by tendonitis.
What are the benefits of using a compression ankle brace to treat ankle tendonitis?
The treatment of tendonitis in the ankle must be established according to its cause and level of severity. Medical specialists choose to treat this type of pathology by means of a protocol based on rest and physiotherapeutic methods. The patient will obtain relief from pain and inflammation, as well as prevent relapses or worsening that could damage the patient’s state of health and, in effect, require surgery to recover from it all.
To mitigate the risk of ankle tendonitis or reduce its symptoms we can opt for the use of compression therapy. This technique has the ability to decrease venous pressure and regulate blood flow to provide improvement in a short time, just by wearing an elastic garment on the affected area.
Compression ankle braces are elastic and adjustable garments that have a therapeutic and easy to use design with the aim of promoting rehabilitation of the ankle after suffering a tendon inflammation or other similar injury that alters its function.
The main benefits of a sports ankle brace are:
- Instant pain relief.
- Minimise inflammatory processes by the support they provide.
- Enrich the blood circulation for a quick recovery.
- Protect the ankle in order to limit the manifestation of a more acute injury.
- Reduce muscle fatigue in the affected area.
- Provide greater stability and comfort to the ankle.
- They transmit warmth and prevent cold in the affected region to produce a sedative effect.
- They favour the limitation of movement in the ankle and thus, avoid the accentuation of the ailment.
What type of sports ankle braces are best for improving ankle tendonitis?
With the aim of improving the effects of the different injuries that can be triggered in the ankles, nowadays, there are multiple designs of sports ankle braces that, due to their specifications, have the capacity to fulfil certain functions to promote the rehabilitation of the ankle in a short time.
To simplify the process of purchasing this type of accessory, we recommend selecting a compression sports ankle brace, as this is a model suitable for accelerating the recovery of the affected ankle, regardless of the severity of the case. It is distinguished by its optimal elasticity and comfort designed to promote the best possible mobility during sporting activities, as well as to strengthen the ankle joint.
These ankle supports offer the following advantages:
- They exert a continuous compressive massage to provide relief.
- They generate a noticeable improvement in blood circulation.
- Mitigate muscle fatigue that can develop in the area.
- Provide greater stability to the ankle joint.
- Ensure protection of the ankle and its adjacent parts.
- Provide comfort and safety for daily activities and/or exercise routines.
- They prevent the manifestation of any post-injury discomfort.
- Support moisture absorption to avoid unpleasant odours in the area.